We have officially been back in school for 1 month. Last month on the blog I shared how we were preparing for distance learning. Like all things these days, the word is flexibility and not all of our plans we have stuck with.
Overall, things are going well with a huuuuuge caveat; which is I work from home on my own business, and have a nanny 12 hours a week.
Some changes we made:
The area I originally set up for the boys to work was not conducive to learning. So then we moved to the kitchen but it was making me mental with their shit all over my counter. So now we are at individual desks.
We hit up IKEA and found literally the last two desks and chair in the company. This has been working well because the bedrooms are all upstairs connected by a loft where my desk is so I can easily keep an eye on them.
As well we have moved a lot of their toys out of the loft and into their rooms. My kids toys are sort of like a fungus that grows all over the place and we are working on containment. I want them to spend more quiet time in their rooms and we also dedicated a space for them in the garage which translated into mom speak as I need some fucking space to myself, so here is yours!
It’s been a loooooong 7 months as we all know!
I definitely think we are finally in a groove though. Full disclosure, I work with the boys all morning, and for 2-3 hours each school day our nanny comes over and finishes the day with the boys so I can get my life together. A bit.
And before your get your panties in a bunch, I am fully aware how priveleged I am to have help. If you take issue with that, I don’t really care. Bye girl.
So I wanted to share what has been working really well so far while we are still distance learning:
5 Top Takeaways with distance learning so far:
- We all pack a lunch box in the morning with our day’s food and snacks. Yep, I do it too. This has really helped with the mindless snacking and the boys know that when they are out of food the are S.O.L. until dinner. (We even put a lock on the pantry door to keep them out, I shit you not). This has been a game changer with the boys as far as their nutrition.
- No television on weekdays between the hours of 9:00-3:00, and absolutely no video games on school nights. These are non negotiable at home during the week. Lots of outdoor play and puzzle building!
- I have posted a list of lunch options on the chalk board in the kitchen and they can pick from any one of those options, and that’s it. Betsy’s diner has a very limited menu these days
- The boys have chores now. Being home together so long made me realize how damn much I do for my boys that their asses can do for themselves. So slowly but surely, they are doing more. They now clean their bathroom, make their beds, and put their laundry away. What else should I make them do????
- Lastly, I realized how fucking awesome my boys are. You know, all I read about is how being home is ruining our children’s mental health. Ya know what. Kiddos are damn resilient. Adults should really take note on how they can adapt to situations to make the best of things. We could learn a lot from them!
How are you holding up? Are your kiddos back in school in person or online?
Talk to ya soon!
Leave a Reply